Sunday, June 10, 2007

Step Dads and Different Last Names

If ten years ago or even three years ago you asked me if I ever thought that at 25 I would be getting a step dad soon enough I would have told you that I thought you were crazy. But it is indeed happening. I guess I always thought that after you moved away and stuff your parents would be together forever. I was wrong. My mom seems really happy lately and I am very glad for her. There is talk of a small wedding (one I would not be a part of due to so many issues of who to invite and who not to invite) and then I would have a step dad. A step dad who I have been told wants to be my friend. Hey I am open to that. I would be happy to have yet another positive role model in my life (not that having an affair is a great thing but to help show me how marriage can be) would be great. Talking to my dad dad I have realized that his view of marriage was always extremley skewed and he thought just being faithful and bringing home a pay check was enough to sustain a marriage. It is in fact not. I always thought i would never wait on someone the way my mom waited on my dad. I thought there should always be an equal share in marriage and that the person you marry would be one who you wanted to spend most of your time with. I do hope marriage happens for me.

On to different last names. I was talking to my mom about if she would change her last name when she got remarried and she will in fact do this. It is kinda sad to have a different last name from my mom as I had discussed with someone else earlier this weekend. But then my mom brought up the point, that hopefully eventually I will in fact have a different last name when I get married. Didn't think of it that way.

No comments: